Sunday, February 19, 2012

Millions at Risk in African Drought


       In my previous posts I have been less then forgiving of the flaws that are embedded in our society. I’ve criticized our comfort and crucified our complacency. When discussing the protests in Bahrain I described our culture as ignorant and selfish. My post regarding the rise of violence against members of the LGBT community exclaimed that people were not only delusional but egotistical and violent.



     This isn’t a plea for forgiveness but rather an aside to reinforce what I’ve said and be sure you remember that I’m hoping to enrage you. I believe that change can only happen when there is a desire for it. I also believe that this desire needs a push to exist. I doubt this push will be coming from friends or family and I know it won’t be coming from society or the media. This push is the reason for this blog. I want you to be upset. I hope you read what I’m writing and sharing and become enraged by my insults to you. Don’t feel alone though. Every insult is as much dagger against me as it is to you. 

     With these words in mind it is important to talk about the famine that is being predicted in West Africa. Reports claim that because of a drought in the area there will be millions of people at risk of starvation and death. A story by the Edmonton Journal reported that a spokesman for Bev Oda, Minister for International Cooperation, had this to say, "although the situation is “concerning,” no course of relief action has been decided.” This response is remarkably useless for the families who cry out in anguish because of our inability to organize any relief.

This image was selected only after I viewed hundreds of pictures of famine in West Africa.

     To say that I am upset by the response by the Canadian Government would be a drastic understatement. What is equally alarming is the effort it took for me to find this story. It wasn’t on the home page of any news site that I visited. In fact, the story was found only after moving deep into various news sites. If you want to find out more about this story without all the digging you can do so by following this link to the Edmonton Journal. You can also find more information here. Also if you are able to help those in Western Africa through a donation please do so by visiting this website and selecting "West Africa Food Crisis" from the "Fund" menu. It may sound contrived but anything you are able to spare would go a long way towards helping somone.

     “The forgotten world is made up primarily of the developing nations, where most of the people, comprising more than fifty percent of the total world population, live in poverty, with hunger as a constant companion and fear of famine a continual menace.”
                     -Norman Borlaug

No comments:

Post a Comment